Brain Imaging & MRI in Dallas
An MRI is a noninvasive medical test that helps physicians diagnose and treat a range of medical conditions, including medical conditions in the brain.
Common Uses for a MR Imaging of the Brain
- Diagnose and monitor brain tumors
- Assist with monitoring the effects of strokes
- Assist with monitoring the effects of trauma to the brain
- Examine brain anatomy
Functional MRI (fMRI) is an effective tool that is sometimes used for pre-surgical planning. fMRI measures brain activity by detecting changes associated with blood flow, in order to effectively map functional areas of the brain adjacent to structures that will be targeted during surgery. During an fMRI the patient is asked to perform specific tasks based on the functional system, such as motor skills or speech, to be mapped.
What Happens During the Procedure?
Here’s what to expect during an MRI:
- You will lie on a narrow table and slide into the MRI scanner.
- During the actual scan, you will hear loud noises. You are allowed to wear headphones to decrease the noise level.
- You will be asked to lie still for 30 – 60 minutes.
- After the MRI, you are able to resume all normal activity.
Schedule Your MRI at Southwest Diagnostic Imaging in Dallas
Open 7 days a week, Southwest Diagnostic Imaging Center is a full-range, experienced, state-of-the-art imaging center in Dallas. Contact us today to learn more about MRI services.