Carotid Ultrasound in Dallas, TX
A carotid ultrasound is a procedure used to evaluate the blood flow through the carotid arteries.
How it Works
During a carotid ultrasound, a sonographer presses a transducer against your neck, which then emits sound waves that echo to produce an on-screen image of the carotid arteries. This image allows the physician to determine if the arteries are narrowed or blocked, which can greatly increase an individual’s risk of stroke.
Other Uses of a Carotid Ultrasound
Carotid ultrasounds are also able to perform a number of other services like:
- Locating of a collection of clotted blood, known as a hematoma, that may be inhibiting blood flow
- Evaluation of blood flow through the carotid artery following surgery to remove plaques
- Determining the efficiency of a recently placed stent
- Detection of other abnormalities of the carotid artery that can disrupt blood flow
Typically, a physician will recommend a carotid ultrasound if the patient has medical condition that can increase the risk of a stroke such as:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Coronary artery disease
- Family history of stroke or artery disease
- A recent transient ischemic attack (TIA) or stroke
- An abnormal sound in carotid arteries (bruit)
Schedule Your Carotid Ultrasound at Southwest Diagnostic Imaging in Dallas
If you need to schedule a Carotid Ultrasound online, you can use the Southwest Diagnostic Imaging Center online appointment request form. If you prefer over-the-phone contact, call us at (214) 345-6905.