Brain MRI Dallas
An MRI is a noninvasive medical test that helps physicians diagnose and treat a range of medical conditions, including medical conditions in the brain.
What are the Common Uses for a Functional MR Imaging for the Brain?
Functional MR Imaging (fMRI) is becoming the most popular technique used to learn how normal or diseased brains work. Physicians most commonly perform fMRI to:
- Diagnose and monitor brain tumors
- Assist with monitoring the effects of strokes
- Assist with monitoring the effects of trauma to the brain
- Brain mapping, which determines the part of the brain that is handling thought, speech and movement
- Examine brain anatomy
What Happens During the Procedure?
Here’s what to expect during an fMRI:
- You will lie on a narrow table and slide in to the MRI scanner.
- During the actual scan, you will hear loud noises. You are allowed to wear headphones to decrease the noise level.
- You will be asked to lie still for 30 – 60 minutes.
- During an fMRI, you will be asked to do a variety of small tasks, such as tapping fingers and answering simple questions.
- After the fMRI, you are able to resume all normal activity.
Consult your physician for more information on fMRI.